Electroadhesion-based surface haptics are fundamentally different than vibration-based haptics in the following ways:
- How it is built – No piezos, motors or other moving parts
- How it is programmed – Software-defined effects can be designed in localized zones
- How it is experienced – Effects are felt as the finger modulates friction by swiping across/up/down/around the surface
TanvasTouch haptic effects are programmed using bitmapped images:
- Greyscale (single channel)
- 0-255 per pixel
- Currently .PNG file format
Visual designers can use: Photoshop, Illustrator, Paint, etc.
Programmers can use: OpenCV, graphics drawing libraries, etc.